The zoo and its birds need you!
The music festival “Les Déferlantes” takes place in July, in the Valmy Castle, next to the Valmy Eagles Park. These extremely noisy concerts require us to close down each year for several days during that period, even though it is the high season. We have had assessments of the noise situation by vet experts, who have confirmed that the noise level has dangerous repercussions on the birds’ welfare, causing stress and possible death.
As we sustain a loss of profit each summer during this period, the zoo doesn’t have the financial ability to move. Also, following the unlawful contract termination of the commercial lease in 2009, the Mayor of Argelès-Sur-Mer was ordered to pay by the Perpignan High Court a 462 901 euros (exluding tax) fine, on 19th September 2015.
This money would have enabled the zoo to move to a peaceful location.
Unfortunately, the mayor using the repentance law, cancelled the procedure and renewed the commercial lease, not respecting the obligations and rights of it. Without the fine’s money, the Aigles de Valmy SARL is not able to act on its resettlement project, and thus suffers from the situation described above.
It is worth understanding how the commercial lease isn’t being respected by the town mayor:
– Loss of the ability of quiet enjoyment due to a tenant.
– the zoo surroundings are turned into an extremely noisy building site weeks before and after the festival dates.
– Extremely noisy concerts organised in the immediate vicinity of the zoo and the birds.
– The zoo has no other choice but to close down during that time in July which is the tourist high season.
– During the festival, the access to the zoo is blocked by security guards and by the local police.
– Loss of the parking space, which prevents the monthly meat and animal fodder delivery.
The Aigles de Valmy thus remain in a very precarious situation, with no possibility of moving on, and cannot serenely operate on this Argeles-Sur-Mer property
The birds (protected wildlife) are being forgotten by the local governments and will be the ones suffering the most in this affair, if the town hall does not comply to the lease’s obligations which they have decided to renew.
How to help
The Aigles de Valmy company wishes to leave Albères, and is looking for solutions and funds to enable its relocation.
You can help us financially with donations to ‘Les amis des aigles’ association (Eagles’ friends association).. All the money collected by the association will be used to relocate the zoo and the care of the birds. Donations (of even a few euros) can be made by clicking on the button below.
Thank you very much in advance for your support. Thank you!